I owed someone a favor and wanted to cook that person dinner. The only requirements were that it would be spicy and/or Italian, and not include onions.
Needless to say, I was stumped. I knew that I also had to limit cheese, so I went to Google…and found Real Simple’s recipe for Cauliflower Penne Puttanesca.
Granted, I changed a few things about the recipe, but here’s what I ended up with 🙂
CAULIFLOWER PENNE PUTTANESCA
- 3/4 lbs Penne pasta, cooked by package directions
- 3-ish tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb. cauliflower, cored and chopped into small florets
- Salt & Pepper, to season
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- One 28 oz. can whole peeled tomatoes (DO NOT DRAIN!)
- 1/3 cup pitted kalamata (calamata) olives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon fresh flat-leave parsley, chopped
- Grated Parmesan cheese for serving
– While pasta is cooking, head up olive oil over medium high heat. Add the cauliflower, season with salt and pepper, and cook 5-6 minutes (tossing occasionally until slightly browned).
– Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for one minute.
– Add the tomatoes and their juices, the olives, and the capers. Cook approximately 10 minutes, breaking up the tomatoes and stirring every couple of minutes.
– Toss the pasta with the sauce and then gently mix in the parsley. Serve with grated Parmesan if desired.